Our call for speakers for DotYork 2018 is open from Wednesday 9th to Thursday 31st May 2018.
DotYork 2018 will take place on Thursday 4th October, in York, England.
We’re on the lookout for original thinkers and doers who can challenge and enlighten attendees around four key themes.
- What we make and do has an impact on the world around us
- How do we ensure that what we make is a force for good? Do we have to? And who gets to define “good”?
- Blue Planet finally made us think about our use of plastic. What generational challenges should we be looking out for and trying to solve?
- Our on (and off)-line personas are complicated. How do we secure our personal brand and control our digital footprint?
- What’s the personal cost of what we do? What is work/life balance, anyway?
- What if our definition of success is all wrong?
- Social media and the web has given rise to many unexpected new upsides and downsides. Are we more tolerant, or more closed? Empowered or exploited?
- How can we trust that the data we ask for and exchange for ‘free’ access to services isn’t abused for political gain, or worse?
- How can we define “consent” in this ever-connected world?
- Is the system is broken? Who can we trust?
- Money is just a tool to enable exchange. Is it still the best tool for job?
- How can we navigate risk, protect ourselves and negotiate a better deal?
We aren’t looking for sales pitches or technical how-tos but anything else goes - from anyone. Regardless of your experience, line of work or any other demographic.
When we review applications, we remove all personal information and make our decision based on the content of the proposed talk, how we think it will relate and be of interest to our audience, and how it fits with the rest of the line-up.
DotYork is a safe space for you to share your insight, experience and opinions. By submitting an application to speak, you agree to follow our code of conduct.
Our audience is made up of roughly 30% designers, 30% developers, 30% business owners and 10% others. Most work for small and micro agencies with 15% being freelancers and 15% students.
What we expect
DotYork is a one-day single-track conference which we divide into 4 sessions, each lasting approximately 90 minutes.
- You will be part of a four-person panel for one of these sessions
- During your session you will deliver a 10 minute talk and take part in discussions with our host, your fellow panelists and our audience
- You’ll help to promote the event within your network and support us in our marketing efforts (e.g. social media interactions, short blog posts etc.)
What we can offer
- An honorarium in exchange for your participation
- Return travel to York (please note, we are a small conference with a modest budget. We won’t be able to cover travel from outside Europe)
- A hotel room for up to 2 nights (including wi-fi and breakfast)
- A speaker’s dinner the evening before the conference
- Lunch and refreshments throughout the day of the conference
To apply, please complete this short form.
The closing date for applications is Thursday 31st May. You will hear back from us by 30th June.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.